Vision and Mission Statement
- Vision of an inclusive society
- Strength in shared resources
- Artistic expression that unites us all
VSA Kentucky is a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing inclusive arts and education programs for children, youth, and adults with disabilities, in addition to, professional development for artists and teachers in schools and communities statewide.
How it all started. . .
Founded in 1974 by Ambassador Jean Kennedy Smith, VSA Kentucky was formed on the belief that the arts are central to our lives and that the arts belong to everyone. VSA Kentucky was incorporated in 1987, and since then has provided many arts opportunities throughout the Commonwealth for thousands of children, youth and adults with disabilities. We are an affiliate of VSA headquartered in Washington, DC.
VSA Kentucky, a member of the VSA Affiliate Network, a program of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
Our Service. . .
VSA Kentucky provides arts education and inclusion programs for children and adults with disabilities throughout the state and offers an under-served population equal opportunity to explore the arts in a way that is fully accessible. Through participatory involvement with trained professionals and volunteers, people with disabilities learn new creative and social skills that open doors to new opportunities in the arts. Programming and initiatives are guided by four essential principles:
- Every young person with a disability deserves access to appropriate arts learning experiences.
- All resident artists in schools and art educators should be adequately prepared to include students with disabilities in their instruction.
- All children, youth and adults with disabilities should have access to community cultural facilities and activities.
- All individuals with disabilities who aspire to careers in the arts should have the opportunity to develop necessary skills.
VSA Kentucky wants to thank our funding partners for making our programs for people of all abilities across the Commonwealth possible: